Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Above image found here using Google Image search
In honor of the scariest (and the most revealing apparently..) holiday of the year, I thought that I would start off my Halloween posts with one that might be a little helpful for some of you if you are like myself and are still trying to figure out what to do on this festive night. I don't think that it is any surprise to you that I love movies, so I thought that I would give a few quick recommendations that you could watch with your hubby/wife, offspring, acquaintances or hell, by your self for argument sake. Without further adieu, I leave you with..
My Top Ten Halloween (or scary) Flicks of 2011
1) Halloween Town[1,2,3 (feel free to boo the last one, because I sure have..)]: Ok.. I know, I know; "but Madi, it's played on the FAMILY CHANNEL! I don't want to watching a KIDS movie!" If this (or something similar) was your inner dialog as you read number one, then you obviously have never seen this movie before (or you are just deranged, your call). Yes, it is technically for 'smaller children', and no, it technically is not scary, but none the less it is a great movie to watch while decorating your house, carving pumpkins, sending me candy... the usual.
2) Shutter Island: For the record, I went in thinking that I was going to completely HATE this movie souly because Di-crap-rio was the star, but was I wrong! There are very few movies out there that I have seen (and actually enjoyed) where it was so scary I had to cover my eyes because I could not bare to watch; this was one of them. I also loved the ending, a nice unexpected touch I'd say.
3) The Others: I think that this is the best movie that Nicole Kidman has ever done. Not only is the acting outstanding, but the storyline just gets under my skin. Creepy kids with a weird condition, normal (or so it seems) mum, dead father, oodles of housekeepers who can't seem to keep to themselves, a mute, mysterious moving furniture.. all happening in one dusty, dark mansion. Do not even get me started on the ending either. Nice.
4) Red Eye: This movie is more for those thrill seekers out there who like drama and suspense opposed to things jumping out or anything supernatural. It incorporates some very popular fears; traveling alone, someone making you do something that you don't want to do, planes, someone putting your family in danger, strangers (and sharp ball point pens). Plus one of the stars is Cillian Murphy (um.. HELLO).
5) The Ring: A classic horror flick. The supernatural, a PMSing ghost, a dirty old well, and televisions. Doesn't that sound good?
6) Sleepy Hallow: A young Johnny Depp and a headless horseman. Must I say more?
7) Constantine: Amazing story and SUPER CRAZY special effects (the scene with the man made out of bugs still sticks with me). It is absolutely phenomenal, and I have never seen anything remotely similar. This definitely is a must see!
8) Coraline: Yeah, Yeah, another 'kids' movie. Just trust me, ok?
9) Signs: AMAZING. I love the scene when he sticks a knife under the door and you can see the reflection of the alien on the other side. Super duper good!
10) Shaun Of The Dead: Just watch it, you wont regret it. "As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't know what he's talking about."
I hope that you all enjoyed that. Please feel free to post any of your favourite movies (scary, or not) in a comment on this post and I will talk you all very shortly!
stay strong and keep chugging along, -Madeleine
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Above Image From Here (found using google images)
Wow..ok, so I have clearly neglected this blog for way to long. How could you guys let this happen (as if it's all your fault)?! I could give you all a million and one reasons why my post have been minimal (or non-existent.. same difference), which is exactly what I plan to do...
(not quite) A Million And One Reasons Why I Have Been Absent:
-School: I have finally started my twelfth year in public education which has been eating up most of my time.
-This blog may have slightly slipped my mind (just a little bit).
-I am currently and have been since school started looking for a part-time job. Anyone hiring?
-Filming and trying to make my way up to partner-hood on the U to the Tube.
-I totally forgot I had a blog...
-My laptop broke and am now waiting patently (yeah, right) to hear back from them.
-I have finally figured out what I want to do with the rest of my life (fo' realz this time guys).
-Out of sight, out of mind. (note to self: MAKE THIS MY NEW HOMEPAGE).
-Halloween? (totally a legitimate reason..)
Anyway, you all WILL be hearing (or reading) from (about?) me (or my life [or lack of one]?) very soon. Also, please.. if I let this blog slip my mind again, someone write me a nasty letter telling me how much of a no-good teenager I am and how your life is not complete without my totally awesome blog posts. While we are at it, if you would like me to blog about something specific (a product I've tried, something for me to rant about.. whatever tickles your fancy) please let me know in a comment on THIS post. Thank-yeah so much lovelies!
stay strong and keep chugging along, -Madeleine